There are many non-immigrant visas that allow you to live and work or to live and study in the United States temporarily.
Attorney Yunuen Mora of Cross Border Lawyer has a wide understanding of work and businesses visas. She primarily helps clients with the following work visas:
- TN VisaThis visa is based on the North America Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and it allows Canadian and Mexican citizens apply for a temporary work visa in the US. The qualifying professions are not limited to the following: accountants, engineers, attorneys, pharmacist, scientists, economists, teachers. You must have a full-time or part-time employment offer. There are different requirements and procedures for Canadians and Mexicans.
- The initial visa can be approved for up to 3 years and can be renewed for the longevity of your employment.
- L1 Visa (for executives or managers of a multinational company)The L1A visa allows U.S. employers that have foreign companies affiliated to the U.S. company, to transfer an executive or manager to an office in the U.S. Also, if the company is still not established in the U.S., this allows the company to send an executive or manager to settle the company in the U.S. You will be granted the visa for 3 years and can renew for an additional 2 years. The limit of stay with the L1A visa is 7 years.As a multinational manager or executive, you can self-petition for an employment-based, first-preference visa. If it is approved, you will then be able to apply for your legal permanent residence through adjustment of status.
The L1B visa allows U.S. employers to transfer a professional employee with specialized knowledge of the company to work in the U.S. You will be granted the visa for 3 years and can renew for an additional 2 years. The limit of stay with the L1A visa is 5 years
- O visa (for individuals with extraordinary ability or achievement)The O visa is for individuals who have extraordinary ability or achievement in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics. Also, for those who have demonstrated a record of extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry. They must meet the following requirements:
- Demonstrate extraordinary ability by sustained national or international acclaim
- Must come to the U.S. temporarily to work in the area of the extraordinary ability
- If you are in the fields of science, education, business or athletics, you need to show that you are one of the small percentages who has risen to the very top the field
You will be granted the visa for up to 3 years and can be extended in increments of 1 year.
- P visa (Internationally Recognized Athlete)The P visa is a temporary visa that allows athletes to enter the United States to compete as an athlete, individually or as a team, and they are internationally recognized. Athletes can bring their essential support personnel and their immediate family members can join them. The P visa can be granted for up to 5 years and can be renewed for increments of 5 years for a total stay of 10 years.Attorney Yunuen Mora of Cross Border Lawyer has vast experience representing primarily boxers and baseball players.
- R Visa (for ministers of a religious organization)The R visa gives a temporary work visa for ministers of a religious organization in the United States. The foreign national minister must have been a member of the religious organization for at least 2 years prior to filing the petition. The work is limited to the religious organization. Religious workers are admitted for up to 30 months and it cannot exceed 5 years.After having worked for the same religious organization for 2 continuous year, the religious work can file a Special Immigrant Religious Worker petition which if granted will allow the religious worker to self-petition to become a legal permanent resident.
Attorney Yunuen Mora from Cross Border Lawyer has vast experience representing individuals in all different areas of non-immigrant visas as well as helping them apply for their legal permanent residence, if applicable. Attorney Mora will help you in every step of the process allowing you to completely concentrate in your employment or competition.